Diabetes is when your body has exceeded blood sugar level, which is the consequence of pancreas dysfunction that either produces less insulin or does not produce insulin at all. Insulin helps convert blood sugar into energy circulating in your body. Hence, if the body cannot produce enough insulin and no energy is converted, blood sugar levels will rise, causing chronic and acute diseases such as Blindness, Renal Failure, Myocardial Ischemia and Paralysis.
Diabetes can be categorised into four types which are
- Type 1 Diabetes: The pancreas cannot produce insulin at all. Usually found in children, teens, young adults, and those with underweight conditions.
- Type 2 Diabetes: The most common diabetes type where 90-95% are diagnosed with and usually caused by genetics and those who have overweight conditions.
- Concurrent Diabetes: Diabetes due to other symptoms such as Pancreatitis, loss of pancreas, a side effect from the steroid and hormonal imbalance from Adrenal Gland.
- Gestational Diabetes (diabetes while pregnant): Usually found in those who have never been diagnosed with diabetes before, and the disease will gradually fade away once giving birth. However, there are chances that they can have diabetes again in the future time and pass on the disease to the child.
The most crucial part for diabetic patients is to control blood sugar levels, which can be done through 3 tasks: dietary control, regular exercise, and medicine intake tailored to the types of diabetes itself. The good news is that Diabetes 2 patients can even reverse their diabetes to a state where no medicine is needed. There is excellent evidence that combining a personalised diet and exercise plan and follow-up with health coaches and progress on data such as blood pressure, activity and weight, that you have a much bigger chance of living healthier with your diabetes or even get
As a result, finding a personal trainer and/or a certified nutrition coach via B-Healthy service can make your healthcare much more convenient.
For this article, we have helpful health guidelines in dietary control and exercise for diabetic patients to share
- Consuming good carbohydrates such as brown rice, oatmeal, buckwheat, fruit and vegetables is encouraged, while avoiding any kind of wheat flour.
- Eating no more than 6g or one teaspoon of salt per day and avoiding processed food as much as possible to reduce the risk of getting Cardiovascular disease.
- Choosing to consume Protein such as fish, especially salmon and mackerel, eggs, chicken and beans while avoiding red and processed meat.
- Going for unsaturated fats (High-Density Lipoprotein) such as avocado, oily fish, olive oil, sunflower oil while avoiding butter and bakery
- Avoid additive sugar in foods and drinks. However, one may consider going for sweeteners depending on the doctor's diagnosis.
- Avoid all alcoholic drinks because of their high calories. If the drinking is insisted, drinking in small amounts, and prohibited when you are on an empty stomach.
Diabetic patients should regularly do exercise in order to trigger the body's quick responses to Insulin level resulting in effective circular blood sugar within the body. The exercise should approximately be around at least 30 minutes. The recommended exercises are brisk walking and cycling, and should avoid intense exercises. 5-10 minutes warm-up is advised both before and after exercise to prevent injuries.
Before and after exercising, checking blood sugar level is encouraged for type 1 diabetic patients. If the blood sugar level drops, 15g of Carbohydrates such as 1 teaspoons honey, 180ml. orange juice or one cultivated banana are recommended to prevent low blood sugar levels during exercise.
Caution: if you have concurrent diseases from diabetes such as heart disease, diabetic foot and diabetic retinopathy, consulting doctors before exercise is a must.
B-Healthy can offer you some of the best alternatives for diabetic health programs, gathering health experts and doctors from personal trainers and certified nutrition coaches to best serve diabetic patients' needs. Moreover, patients can choose health packages that match their lifestyle at any place and time they want, just like hiring a personal trainer who always takes care of them.
For those interested in a certified nutrition coach and Personal trainers to take care of your last-long good holistic health, feel free to contact us to learn more about the programs!